Sunday, June 9, 2013

Badges of Honor

The first week of Summer 2013 was filled with blessings. The kiddos..all FOUR..vacationed in Orange Beach with Mimi and Grandad for the week and Jason and I... Well, five nights ALONE in SanDestin, need I say more? 
The kids had a blast. They played at the beach, swam at the pool, left their mark on the water park and every video arcade near the Alabama/Florida state line.  
Jason and I, ahhhhh...we slept (and slept and slept), ate at some delicious GROWN UP restaurants and had some much needed alone time. Hear this: I showered every day! I wore makeup everyday! I wore stylish, adult clothes.. from THIS season!! It was fabulous...aside from missing our little monkeys the whole time of course.  
We all returned home Sunday rested and rejuvenated from our respective vacation spots and the unpacking, washing and story swapping commenced. 
Well, it's Tuesday...two days later...I sit here typing, still wearing Sunday's make-up and T-shirt (which happens to be an old college one, circa 1998, that's covered in coffee and applesauce)--not cute! And someone please tell me, what happened to my spray tan? It must have faded.. And what happenend to my pretty feet? The Spa Pedicure from the resort is shot from little Croc-clad feet stepping on mine.  Lobster? Filet Mignon? Sheesh...my dinner last night was a bowl of Cap'n Crunch cereal after getting all the kids down! 
Forty-eight hours and it's official..I'm back to being a re-fried mom. No more lazy days on sandy beaches..white, gauze kaftan blowing in the breeze..cold drink in one hand, a great book in the other (insert record scratch)...
I was spending time with the Lord this morning, feeling quite gross and quite pitiful as He began speaking to me about: What else?  Princesses. I was excited about that because..well, I am one you know..and if He is your Father you are too.
The King began by reminding me of the world's view of a princess: She will have the nicest clothing, accessories, carriages, and castles. She will be very concerned with external beauty and of course the nicest beauty treatments. She will desire the best food. She will be served by others, and desire the attention of others.  This is the world's view of a princess..not His.  
Then, He showed me His daughters...His princesses. She will seek things contrary to this world. She will probably not have the nicest earthly  clothing or possessions. She will be more concerned with spiritual clothing...robes of righteousness and being clothed in humility (Isaiah 61:10; 1 Peter 5:5) She should not be concerned with worldly standards of beauty or the nicest beauty treatments, but instead that she carries the beauty of the Lord (Psalm 90:17).  His beauty will radiate from her. She will not prioritize the "best" earthly food, but will feast daily on the Bread of  Life (John 6:35), the Manna from Heaven (Psalms 78:24)...Jesus, the Word made flesh, and she will be satisfied (John 1:14). Above all, she will be a servant...much more concerned with serving others than with being served (Mark 9:35). 
Today, this princess is servant to a man, a seven year old, two five year olds, and a 14 month old.  In the world, a servant's clothing is often old and sometimes covered with coffee and applesauce. I am thankful for many things today, but above all that My Father showed me that these two stains are badges of honor, jewels in a crown. A crown that I thankfully and joyfully cast at His feet.  Isn't it awe-inspiring how God's economy is always upside down to our human understanding?  

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and the knowledge of God! How unsearchable His judgemets and unfathomable His ways!"
 Romans 11:33

"Those who walk in pride, He is able to humble" 
Dan 4:37     


No comments: