Monday, October 3, 2011

Pray and Keep Watch For Me

This June, my sweet husband was on mission in Africa--Kenya actually. Once he shared with me that he was feeling called to this, I began to pray--for protection, provision, anointing, salvation--for so many things.. Many prayers went up for him, his team, the lives they would encounter. It wasn't until he was gone that it occurred to me how much we would struggle here at home. Boy did we.  Our three little boys and I are blessed with such a wonderful father and wonderful husband in him, and let me just say, I rarely have everything on my shoulders from day to day. The day he left, during my first time with the Lord, He reminded me of Mark 14--Jesus in the Garden.  "Pray and keep watch for Me, so that you will not fall into temptation.  The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" (vs 38).  Jesus asked this of His trusted disciples, His closest companions, while in the Garden of Gethsemane. 

There are so many things going on in this scene, but two stood out to me during this time.  First, how, in times of danger--whether it be physical, spiritual, or danger of "falling into temptation"--there is only one dependable option--pray.  He is the only One that will truly comfort and protect us, but do we go to Him? Peter, James and John, hours before were ready to die for Jesus.  "Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You! And they were all saying the same thing"(vs 31), and then moments later they could not merely stay awake to pray. Is this any different from my proclaimations to love Him and follow Him, then 'little' day to day choices of worldly comforts over going to Him?  I say I love Him above all.  I say I love Him more than my life, but when I am tested, what do I turn to? This message was such a wake up call for me, but the next brought me to my knees.
   
The most beautiful part of this scene to me is the gentleness shown from our Father to His Son.  While praying, our sweet Jesus agonized and pleaded in the garden. He knew what He was facing.  He asked God two separate times if possible for this cup to pass from Him (vs 36,39).  Each time, He returned to a gentle reminder, of our hopelessness--how desperately we need a Savior, and why this burden was His alone.

Jesus returned twice to find Peter, James and John-arguably his closest disciples, sleeping. These were men who had walked with Him, seen miracles, seen Him transfigured while speaking with Moses and Elijah, and men who hours before were ready 'to die for Him."  Jesus pleaded, "My soul is deeply grieved even to the point of death..keep watch for Me," and they couldn't even stay awake. When He returned to them sleeping, I believe Our Father, in those precious moments, was gently answering His prayer--this could not pass from Him.  He was displaying that even those who try are capable of nothing without His sacrifice. Even with the best of intentions, we fail miserably everyday.  The sheer beauty of this scene leaves me speechless.


"Pray and keep watch for Me, so that you will not fall into temptation."  We are hopeless without Him--certainly before we know Him, but also after. It reminds me of one of my favorite worship songs ( I know..I love music):

How many names
Can I use to explain
The love of my Jesus
The life that He gave...

Your name is Jesus
Your name is Jesus
You're the wonderful, counselor, my friend
You're what I hold on to
I know that You brought me through
All the days of loss and to the cross, You knew
That I'd need a Savior

How many songs
Can I sing to proclaim
Your wondrous love
Oh and beauty so great
Oh and, What would I say
If You brought down the rain
And everyday I walked through the pain
My heart would still say… 
Your name is Jesus
Your name is Jesus
You're the wonderful, counselor, my friend
You're what I hold on to
I know that You brought me through
All the days of loss and to the cross, You knew
That I'd need a Savior
  -Among the Thirsty   
How many times has the Lord asked me to pray and I didn't? How many times have I felt the Spirit nudging me to do something uncomfortable or difficult that I didn't do? Or put off until it's too late? Oh yes, I fall asleep.

He knew...and in that moment He was reminded...that we need a Savior.

1 comment:

Brad, Steph and Wes said...

Beautifully written and it really showed me things I hadn't thought of before. Thank you for sharing this.